SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

How do you use granular non-organic fertilizer

paulsiu
12 years ago

I have been helping out on my in-law's yard and they are not organic gardener and don't like the idea of compost manure. They have some Espoma Gardner Food 10-10-10, the non-organic kind. It looks like rock salt. Frankly, I am not sure how to use it. The instruction said to sprinkle 2 tsp while planting, but what about established plants. I think it said to use 2 tsp every month. I am thinking that I can sprinkle some around the plant and scratch it in, and water it. The instruction did say to take care not to sprinkle it on the plant itself.

My worry is that I will use too much and burn the plant. In addition, the instruction said to apply once per month, is this too much for a hydrangea? The soil test do show a lack of phosphorous. I was thinking that's why it doesn't bloom that well.

I called the manufacturer and they weren't that helpful, they just reiterate what's on the box. I am not sure I would trust the manufacturer's recommendation any way. May be they'll recommend more than you should to sell more product (faster you use it up, the faster you buy more).

Paul

Comments (4)