SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinebreak

exhaust fan used as intake?

pinebreak
18 years ago

Hi all,

I have a south-facing glass lean-to, about 10x16, that abuts my unheated garage. It has an automatic ridge vent, two manual louver windows on the south wall (at bench level), and a door into the garage. The garage has a large sash window on another wall that I leave open, so with the ridge open and the door from the garage open, generally enough cool air gets pulled in that way.

However, during the spring when I am most actively using the GH, ideally the door and windows would get opened around 9 or 10AM and closed around 3PM. However, like most folks I work and therefore have to open up at 7AM and close up at 6PM. I hate to think how much heat I'm wasting doing that, especially in February. Also, if I forget to open and close the door and windows the GH cooks.

So I am thinking of cutting a hole in the garage wall and installing an exhaust fan in reverse to push cool air in. I would probably put it on a two-stage thermostat and kick it off a few degrees after the ridge vent opens.

So, has anyone done anything like this? Do you think it is a reasonable thing to do? Will the air blasting in make it too windy? I could set up some deflection, I suppose. The air in the garage is pretty temperate, generally in the low 40s in the winter, so I am not too concerned about pushing in unmixed outdoor air.

I also am not sure how to size the fan. Because I have the full ridge vent I would think I would need a slightly smaller fan than I normally would for a GH strictly vented using and exhaust fan and intake louvers.

Thanks for your advice and opinions,

Herv

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor