SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scamaross2000

Bare Root Roses

SCamaroSS2000
12 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gardening in general and roses. I bought a house about a year and a half ago that already had roses in the front yard. There are about 10 or so that are very well established. I have a gardener and he cut them back for winter and they are now coming out of their winter dormancy and full of leaves. There are even some flowers starting. In January, I went to Home Depot and Lowes and bought a bunch of bare root roses. I wanted to add some different colors to the front yard and also, there was a lot of space between the existing rose bushes so I wanted to fill in some of the gaps. Well, it has now been 2 months and I do not see any growth coming out the new roses I planted. I planted 16 total and followed the directions. I have recently read many of the issues that come from buying the bare root roses at the big stores instead of a nursery. But being a novice, I didn't do enough upfront investigation before purchasing.

Anyways, is there anything that can be done? Or should I just wait another few weeks and if nothing happens just return them all for a refund. I am in Southern California. I assumed since it is still winter, there may be some delays but my existing roses are growing like crazy.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (4)