SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
better2boutside

Clay in root ball, evergreen wont take water.

better2boutside
17 years ago

I recently planted a Lawson Cyprus (Van Pelt). Despite watering, the shrub is drying out and dying. Other trees purchased and planted are not showing same distress. I contacted the nursery to determine if I was doing something wrong since this is my first evergreen. They said that the root balls of those plants seemed to have a lot of clay in them and are shedding water instead of absorbing it. They offered to either replace or refund as long as I return the shrub.

My question is this, do I take another of the same shrub with the clay ball and pick it up and plant it in September when the weather is cooler? Would it be okay to break the root ball and pack it with new soil or would it be a bad thing to disturb the roots that much? Or should I just pass on that group of plants and either take something else or wait till another bunch comes in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really love the deep blue/green of this evergreen and want to be prepared to select something else if need be.

-candace

Comments (6)