SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennyb5149

wait, could it be? yep, another bottom drain question

jennyb5149
14 years ago

Hello pond forum family,

So here I am counting the days until the winter is over and I can move on with the big pond expansion. What better to do than spend all my time planning, re-planning and planning some more?

As I plan on keeping a couple koi, it seems the consensus on this forum is that a bottom drain is a good idea. I could really use some feedback on my bottom drain plan.

Okay, here's the plan. I will have some sort of bottom drain (and, heck, if I'm brave I might even put in an aerated one). The plumbing from the drain will run to 2 or 3 35 gallon rubbermaid type tubs connected together via bulkhead fittings and pvc. The tubs will be buried in the ground so that when filled with water, the water surface in the tubs will be the same as the pond surface level (am I making any sense??). The first will act as a sort of semi-settlement chamber, the second will provide some basic mechanical filtration and contain the 2900 gph submersible pump (or maybe the pump in a 3rd tub). From there, the water will go to a bio-falls filter thingie and back into the pond.

I'm not going to pump the water from the drain to a skimmer application because I already have an Oase Aqua Skim running on another pump and an Oase Swimskim running around the pond (just because it was neat and I'm easily amused. Surprisingly works really well!)

I was planning on sinking a few tubs next to the pond for marginal plants anyway. So, I figured I can also use them to perform some mechanical filtration while I'm at it.

So, finally, here's the question. What you all think? Stupid plan? Good idea but with some tweaks? Should I think about putting a bottom drain in the first rubbermaid tub to drain out the fishie poop? Any input is very much appreciated! I could use some ideas about filtration media, the best way to clean the tubs without making a huge mess (i.e. I don't want to be plunging my hands up to my wrists in fish poo during the weekly clean outs if I can help it!)

I read somewhere that most DIY ponders finally "get it right" on their 3rd pond. I'm hoping that I can get it right with my second pond with all the help of the people here and the 6 months of upcoming winter in which I will have nothing to do but think and plan!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Jenny

PS Big thanks to Cliff and JoAnn whom I borrowed very heavily from for my filtration plan. Oh who the heck am I kidding? I have Cliff's hand drawn plans saved to my desk top and am copying them pretty much verbatim minus the biological filtration pond!

Comments (8)