SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hans_n_heidi

Flagstone and liner - coping problems

hans_n_heidi
16 years ago

Hi.

I hired some landscape helpers to help me did out my pond. ItÂs about 300 gallans and about 40 in deep at its deepest. The sides slop in places. I was going to use flag stone to trim out.

The area is between my back deck and the garage. Since it is such a small area, I decided to flagstone the whole area.

The helpers were working really fast. They put down some coarse sand on top of the existing sand and pieced in the flagstone. This makes the slope worse.

They left a perimeter of about 8 to 10 inches wide. But small coping rocks are not very stable and the rock necklace doesnÂt look very good. And itÂs hard to overhang the edge on a slope like that.

It would look better if the rock edge came all the way up and overhung the edge. That can happen if I use the large pieces of flagstone. But then the back edge doesnÂt line up well.

Do I just need to take it all out and dig it down so that it is closer to the original ground level?

Also, my liner comes out about a foot outside the pond. I worry that the granite between the flagstones will just wash done into the pond. They will be putting Decomposed Granite between the joints. Maybe I should dig a trench, fold the liner into it and then level it up.

Any suggestions on how to finish this out? I have the helpers coming back Friday.

Thanks,

Hans

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio