SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

Help me with LARGE sunny border

17 years ago

I am planning a perennial bed that is part of the landscape along the back of our country property. I have a spot just left and right of my veggie garden that is fronted by Knockout roses and an arbour (plan to grow something up it):

{{gwi:8459}}

My objectives are for lots of colour since this bed is directly viewed from our main back patio, some plants for cutting and keep the plantings low enough not to shade the veggie garden.

My problem is every time I plan a perrenial border I don't like it. I think my mistake is I always try to put too many types of plants in. So I have tried to keep my selection low. What are your thoughts on these? Enough variety, too much, colours OK?

Front of border:

Coreopsis Creme Brulee (have some)

Coreopsis Sunray (have some)

Achillea Cerise Queen

Sedum Purple Emporer (have some)

Middle of border

Shasta Daisy Becky (have some)

Siberian Iris Caesars Brother (have some)

Phlox Robert Poore

Echinops Blue Glow

Echinacea Orange Meadowbrite

Echinacea Giant Ruby

Black eyed susans (have lots!)

Back of Border

Delphinium Blue Skies

Delphinium Blushing Brides

Helianthus Lemon Queen

Joe Pye Weed

We have occassional deer but not too much in this area as there is a cliff that drops off the back so they tend to avoid here as there is no "quick getaway" so I'm hoping the delphiniums will be alright. If not what else could I use?

Thanks all -- I'm working on the whole back border of our property and finding it a bit overwhelming!

Sharon

Comments (9)