SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennyslcgh

Orchid greenhous how to water?

kennyslcgh
16 years ago

I have just built a brand new 9x16 ft greenhouse in which I would like to grow orchids and winter my tropical patio plants. (Orange tree, fig tree, gardenia bush etc.) I live in Utah where it is very dry.

I have the heater system; the automatic roof vents opening, an automatic fan, and a swamp cooler being hooked up to a master control system to regulate temperature. However, I need some advice on misting and watering systems. Will I need a mister on top of the swamp cooler for humidity with the orchids? If so do I do individual misters for the orchids? I have over 40 orchid plants. Do I do one throughout the greenhouse? Fog fans vs. nozzle systems etc. etc. With a swamp cooler can I do drip for the orchids? If I do mister for the orchids and drip for everything else, is that enough for the orchids? Or do I need drip and mister for each orchid?

Another concern of mine is the glass windows. The green house is a very expensive beautiful centerpiece to our garden/patio. We have very hard water here, so I do not want to do something that will make the glass look horrible. Can we easily treat the water before it goes to the misters? If we do individual plant misters is window buildup a problem? etc.

Does anyone know who can help me with all of the options and decisions??

Comment

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths