SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_2008

Cold nights this week/Frost

jay_2008
16 years ago

Hi folks... I have come across this site many times over the past 3 years as I have been learning about growing roses and thank you all for the great information.

I have been planting potted roses for the past few years on my APT. balcony but have run into problems with blackspot numerous times the past few years... BUT I think that I have finally aquired the knowledge that I need to have a successful season this year. I have read so so much information this past winter and think I FINALY understand it all... I wasn't spraying for insects when needed, prevention for disease OR properly feeding the soil with organics PLUS doing regular fertilizing in the past! I am really exited about my prospects this season with my new knowledge. :o)

I have many varieties this year already potted up in 5-10 gallon pots with a mixture of potting soil, compost, and steer manure... I also added a small handfull of bone meal. I made sure to spray lime/sulphur in mid Feb to try to kill over wintering Blackspot spors...

I gave them all a dose of 3 Tablespoons of epson salts and a soaking of fish emulsion according to directions just a few days ago. I will give them Alphalpha meal and granular fertilizer in a few weeks as I read on the Seattle Rose Society site. My roses include 4 Austins (Flastaff, Fair Biance, Abraham Darby, and Graham Thomas) also Olympiad, Double Delight, Touch of Class, Tropicana, and Veterans Honor. I also potted a few Climbers I put in 10 gallon pots (America, Climbing IceBerg, and Dublin Bay) I have a huge ground floor with a balcony overlooking an edge/cliff so have plenty of room but the soil on my 12' x 30' greenspace is only 3 inches deep since it is the top of the buildings garage... hence my only option was to enjoy roses in pots. I also receive full sun from noon until sunset (8 hours). I am going to add Barbara Streisand, and First Prize within a few weeks. I think I'll be out of room by then *wink* oy :o)

I have invested a lot of $ this season so far and I am worried about the expected frosts over the next several days. A good portion of my bushes have started to slightly leaf out... My question is do I have to apply some protection over my new rose bushes? I have read varying posts online about covering them in newspapers, paper bags, or dark plastic garbage bags for these cold nights... Am I over reacting? Will they be OK outside in temps hovering in the low 30's nightly this weekend? I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you so much. Jay

Comments (6)