SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hfk123

Seeking Advice on Stone Wall/Border

HFK123
18 years ago

Hi,

(I've provided links to pictures at the bottom of the post)

I'd like to get some advice on a wall (perhaps 'border' is a more appropriate word?) that I propose to create on my 1.3 acre lot. Essentially, I want it to serve two purposes:

1. Seperate that portion of the lot that will be lawn from that which will be left wild (at least for the time being: I may eventually plant more desirable plants that are more appealing then the native species). The wall/border will eventually be hundreds of feet long, and will wind around quite a bit

2. Aesthtic Pleasure: I want the wall/border to be nice to look at (of course).

3. I want it to be able to stand up to the occasional bump from my Garden Tractor/mower.

I'm not averse to a large project, one that might even take a few years to complete, if the payoff would be worthwhile. Money is not an object, especially if I get involved with something that will take a few years to complete. (although I can't afford to hire someone else to do the job). I'm the son of a bricklayer, and carried hod when I was a kid out of High School, so I'm familar with stone work, but I'm far from an expert. However, I'm confident that I can quickly learn the skills neccesary to build simple walls, and I do have good aesthetic sensibility. I'm also watching DIY and similar channels (I reccommend "Rock Solid", BTW, which is on DIY, I think: my Tivo records it automatically). I've also bought quite a few books. I have no illusions about the amount of time and work it might take to build a proper stacked stone wall.

I do not want a 'formal' wall, one made up of equally sized blocks from Lowes or HD. If I create something other than a simple border I'd prefer that it be stacked stone.

One thing to consider about the lot: it does gently slope, so if I built something more substabtial than a simple stone border I'd have to determine how best to account for the slope in the stone (let the wall slope with the lot, or create 'steps' in the wall).

I'd also like to use whatever method I pick to create planters around some grouped trees in the front of the house.

So, based on the photos below, what would you reccommed? I like the border, but it's certainly not anything to be proud of. BTW, I've just set the stones a bit to see what they'd look like: if I actually used this method I'd bury them deeper.

If I created something with a stacked stone look to it I presume that it would have to be a free-standing wall (due to the shallow grade of the lot) rather than a terracing (or can both types be aesthetically accomodated in one wall?).

I like walls with flat, paver-like stone, but perhaps something else would be preferrable?

How high would you build it? I'd prefer to keep it relatively low: I think a high wall might be overpowering.

How would you deal with the grade? Allow the wall to follow it naturally or create 'steps' occasionally, keeping the top of the wall flat.

One advantage to creating a wall, rather than a border: while laying the foundation I might be able to create some sort of footing (concrete or stone or both) that would extend beyond the edge of the wall and prevent grass growing up against the wall, thus eliminating the need to weekeat.

Finally, what do you think of the border pictured in the links below? Is it to be avoided at all costs?

Note that in the "Example of Lot" photos the wall/border will be laid in front of the tree line at the edge of the (rough) lawn.

Many thanks,

Frank

Comments (3)

Sponsored