SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Suggestions for low hedge

marcindy
11 years ago

Where I step off my deck in my backyard the previous owners planted a half-moon shaped hedge of some sort of spirea. It looks ok, nice guide to lead one into the backyard. However, it flowers a beautiful clear pink in May (when everything else blooms as well) and within a week turns to green and tan. Not great looking. I have been trimming it into a hedge form for a couple of years just to give it some shape and get rid of the spent flowers. I am looking to replace this hedge though with something that looks better for longer. The hedge should be about 2 to 3 feet tall, and about as wide. It can be informal, but should still look presentable without a lot of pruning and fussing. Here are some ideas I had so far: Compact varieties of pg hydrangeas such as Little Lime, Little Lamb or Bombshell, though they may still get bigger than what I envision. Other options are small varieties of clethra, such as Hummingbird or Vanilla Spice, though I have not seen any pictures of them used as a hedge. Than there are the new varieties of Buddleia that stay small and compact. can you guys help me with my selection process? Maybe point out pros and cons of those ideas? Maybe suggest something different I hadn't thought of? The area is highly visible from my deck, gets sun from around 9am until about 2pm, has decent soil, not a bad place overall for shrubs. Oh, and my soil is Indiana clay amended over the years with leave mulch, so most acidic soil loving plants are not going to work for me.

Thanks in advance.

M.

Comments (7)