SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simnia

New York berry turns green, yellow, red, black

simnia
15 years ago

That recent post here "Please Help Identify Berry in New Jersey", which identified a berry as Solanum nigrum, reminded me of a plant I've been wanting to identify. This question is a long shot, I don't have a photo, and this is somewhat low priority, but if anybody has some suggestions, please let me know.

This plant was a bush, possibly wild, that grew alongside a tiny park in New York. It was only 3-4 feet tall, and the only thing I remember really about it was that the berries took on strikingly different colors as they matured: bright green, bright yellow, bright red, and ending in black. That Solanum nigrum photo reminded me of it, and could even be the same bush. The berries were about the size of pyracantha berries, from what I remember, and were shiny. I don't remember if the berries grew singly or in small clusters, and I don't remember the leaves. As I said, it's a long shot but my sister also still mentions that plant sometimes. Does anybody know any berry bush in that area that changes berry colors like that?

Comments (6)