SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriage_gw

non-creeping, high traffic, 'ground cover' for between stones?

carriage
15 years ago

hi!

i live in an 1870 house with the original cobblestone courtyard. i love the cobblestones and wouldn't think of removing them, but it gets quite messy, actually, since there are no plants holding the dirt between them together. some spots pool in heavy rain, and the dirt gets displaced over the stones, etc. i would LOVE to find a very low-growing plant that takes heavy traffic but that WON'T creep over all the cobblestones. does anyone know of anything? i'd love something like irish moss or any of the kind of thing sold by "stepables" (see their website, stepables dot com), except i assume all of those will actually grow to cover the cobblestones. i can just picture little tufts of green growning in between all the cobblestones... what does that??

we walk and play (toddler!) on the cobblestones daily. there is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in between each one. we're in new york; hot and humid summers, very dry with occassional heavy rain. the area is a combination of full sun and partial sun/shade.

i suspect this might be a real challenge.

anyone?

thanks so much!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH