SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ramjet1121

Bog Filter

ramjet1121
14 years ago

I built a bog filter when I remodeled my pond this spring. It is a "higher than the pond" type that gravity feeds back to the pond. It is fed from the pond by a separate pump into a PVC grid in the bottom of the bog which is then filled with pea gravel. It works beautifully, but I have an issue and a couple questions. The plants have flourished (to put it mildly). My problem is that the inflow has begun to exceed the outflow back to the pond causing some overflow onto the lawn. I think it is caused by excessive root congestion and/or debris extraction that impairs flow to through the pea gravel. Does this sound like a reasonable cause? What can I do to prevent this? Too many plants? Wrong kind of plants? Some are aggressive spreaders.

In researching bogs, I couldn't find any specific reference to whether the pea gravel should be higher than the water level or vice verse (or does it matter?). I have a concern about mosquito breeding. My bog has the level such that there is a small amount of water visible. Algae tends to build up compounding the water flow issue, I think. My temporary fix was to install a standpipe that drains into the pond, carrying away the excess water.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus