SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimandanne_mi

Evergreen or semi-e.g. viburnums for shade zones 4-7

jimandanne_mi
15 years ago

I have 5 locations where, after much research, I've finally decided viburnums will probably work best. The soil is sandy with about 6" of top soil, the shade is filtered all day under oak trees, 2 locations are very close to a wetlands, and the others are dry. The ones on the dry location will get the SW winter winds. I need something to screen houses in 2 directions. I already planted 5 Capitata yews and 4 Canadian hemlocks to block the worst part of the view, but still would like some more screening of a different sort. There are several viburnums growing naturally on other parts of the lot, but they are deciduous.

Does anyone have experience with burkwood, Chicago lustre, willowood, or allegheny to know if they would meet my criteria? Others? How will they look under the conditions I've described? I realize they would not be very dense with no direct sun for 5 months, but would they look bad? Would I be better off sticking with the deciduous varieties, or might serviceberry work better?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me!

Anne

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022