SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
offlead

Boxwoods and Photinias and Holly, Oh My (Garden Chaos Year Three)

offlead
16 years ago

We're still working to get control of the property we bought summer before last. This spring found me working extraordinary numbers of hours, and I failed to get anything done outside. Now of course it's too late to do much heavy pruning, so I'm trying to plan out a few things for next year. The big trouble right now are the hedges.

We have hedges along all the fence lines at the front of the property, and around most of the house. It's a lot of hedge. Everything along the fence is red tip photinia (more on that in a minute), and around the house we have more photinias, plus boxwood, some sort of junipers at the front corners, one huge holly that is out of control, and some mystery shrubs. I'm going to go out tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, and take some pics. Everything is running wild.

The boxwoods need to come down a few feet. Previous Owner had them about a foot taller than the windows, with a section cut shorter under the window a/c units. They're a bit taller now in some areas. I'd like to bring them all down to below window level. About 3 feet up off the ground, maybe? Would it be dreadful if next winter/early spring (so, about February here...hehe) I just sawed them back so that the main trunks are about 2 feet tall? Would they recover from this much abuse? What we have now looks pretty good on the outside few inches, but of course everything inside that is all dead branches. They were occasionally trimmed with hedge trimmers, but never really thinned out or properly pruned. The leaves all are good healthy green, though. The shrubs seem quite healthy, just too tall.

And then there's the *bleep*ing photinias. A few of these look mostly healthy, but most have dying leaves and spots, and about every fourth or fifth shrub is half or mostly dead. The ones under windows around the house are too tall, running up in front of the windows. The ones flanking the window sets are like 8-10 feet tall. They're horrendous looking. I can't afford to have them all dug up and replaced right away, but I'd love to do just that. I WILL be replacing as many of them as I can with something else, just one section at a time. The question is, what to replace them with? The fence is chain-link, and the hedge provides a huge amount of privacy. So we need something that will do well and be thick and hardy and will do well at about 4 feet height on the fence-line, and maybe a bit shorter around the house. The boxwoods are doing well, but I think that THAT much boxwood would look pretty boring. I need something else to break it up a bit.

And then there's the holly. When we had trees removed and pruned last fall, the tree guy talked me out of removing the holly. He said you don't see them this large very often. That's part of the trouble. The thing is huge, and right on a corner of the house where we have to get around it all the time. And I hate the leaves if you accidentally step on one, whether green or dried out. I have to periodically pull one out of a dog paw. They're sharp! I also don't find it particularly attractive, at least in it's current shape (8-10 feet tall and squared off in a hedge shape) and location, and there's only the one, on a corner, so it seems out of balance. I'm not sure if I should cut it way back, remove it, or what.

Pictures tomorrow.

Comments (4)