SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Froebeli Spirea andMidnight Wine Weigela

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
17 years ago

We have an island in our church parking lot to care for. I live in Tulsa, Ok., and the island gets very hot. We must give up on flowers now except for the lillies that are already in the ground and lantanas that we have planted. I need something else, and went to Lowe's and bought some of these bushes.

Whatever does not go to the church island will go into my rose garden. I'd like to know which you would choose for the church. We have 4 small plants of each.

Weigela (Midnight Wine) should become 18-24" tall, and 20 - 24" wide. Froebeli Spirea should grow to be4' x4'. The tag says that they are both hardy to -30, but could you tell me about these plants and why I might choose one over the other?

Thanks

Sammy

Comment (1)

• triciae
    17 years ago

I would use the spirea at the Church. Reason...the weigela performs best with moist soil & requires early spring pruning. The spirea adapts to dry soil quite well & shouldn't need much pruning except to rejuvenate it every few years. So, I believe the spirea would be the easier keeper for the spot you've described.