SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnier_gw

Establishing Rose Glow Barberries

sunnier
13 years ago

Hi! About a month ago we planted 9 rose glow barberries along the front of our property, with the hope of growing them into a hedge. I don't have the greenest of thumbs, but I really want these to make it, so I'd love to have any advice.

We planted them just shallower than the root ball depth, so the tops of the root balls are just above grade, and made a water ring out around each with soil, out just beyond the drip line. We also put in a drip watering system that waters right into each root ball at a rate of 1 gallon per hour. They are on the west side of the house in full sun, and approximately 18" tall at this point.

They were watered in well at planting, but it's been very rainy over the last month, so I haven't needed to water again until today. Following the advice of the nursery, I'm checking down in the soil several inches for moisture content before I water, and only watering if it's dry down about 3". They said that overwatering is a common problem and was important to avoid.

Does this sound right so far? I'm a bit concerned, because while they have been doing beautifully, when I went out to check on them this morning I noticed several areas where the leaves seemed to be drying up, not out near the tips but closer to the center of the plants. Does this mean they're not getting enough water after all? I've checked regularly to see if the soil was dry down 3", and I've always found darker, damper soil. Should I trim off branches that have only dried up leaves?

Also, when I do water with the drip system, how long should I leave the water on at 1 gallon per minute? Everything seems to say 1" per week, but I don't know how to translate that to gallons. When I watered today it also seemed to only water about half of the root ball (from surface observation only, not digging at all), only the side of the plant where the emitter tube is. Is this ok, or do we need to do something different?

Thank you so much for reading all this, and for any advice you can offer.

Comments (8)