SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Using large irregular stones for patio/paths?

lizzie_nh
12 years ago

How feasible do people think it would be for me to "pave" a small patio around a firepit, as well as a path leading to the fire pit area, using large, irregularly-shaped found stones?

I live in an area of New Hampshire (the "Granite State") which is extremely rocky. Very old natural grey granite stone walls edge all the roads in my area, and criss-cross my own property. Plenty more stones are buried just beneath the surface of the ground. I don't like the idea of disturbing the stone walls, even where they're beginning to get buried, but I've got plenty of other stone which could be put to use. My husband and I have installed a firepit which is edged in these naturally-occuring stones (looks great), and are now looking for a material to use for a surrounding patio. The firepit is in a wooded area, and we'd like the patio to blend with the surroundings. We'd also like to spend as little money as possible, as we have several big projects ahead this summer.

I'm wondering... some of the rocks I could use are flat-ish on one or both sides, but most are quite round or irregular. We're not terribly concerned about having a completely smooth patio surface. Does it sound feasible to just dig as deeply into the ground as needed to set these stones flush with the ground surface? I like that idea, along with either filling the cracks between the stones with either sand, or allowing grass or moss to grow in between. I'm not terribly concerned about some shifting or upheaval in winter, as I'm going for a natural look in a rural area.

Comments (4)

Sponsored