SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amaia_gw

Viburn.X Bonant. Dawn is dying!!!

amaia
13 years ago

Hi. I'm new to the forum.

Bought in march this one, beautiful, with long branches from the base reaching around 5 ft. It has been planted in full sun only afternoon shade and moist soil. But for some reason, one month ago, 2 branches started to die. The leaves just started to point down like when the plant have lack of water, while on other branches leaves looks normal. Than the canes also dry out and die.

I didn't care very much. It was only 2 branches, it could be "normal", but now, HALF of the bush is looking the same!!!

We had one week of rain!! It can NOT be lack of water!!!

I checked for bugs, parasites, any disease and nothing!!! All plants around are doing good.

What is the soil type to this shrub? Most places says ANY but I found some that says it likes acidic soil!!! It is my only explanation!!

Please help me!

Comments (3)

• stompede
    13 years ago

Start out by checking to be sure it was not planted too deep, mulched too deep, overmulched, etc. Otherwise, contact your local Extension office. You may be looking at a disease issue. Personally, I have seen container Viburnum suffer from Phytophthora and other root rots. They can also suffer from shoot blights caused by Pseudomonas and dieback from Botryosphaeria.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

With the sparse info provided, impossible to tell. My default in this situation is improper planting. Take good pix and I second the good advice about Extension Office.

Dan

• amaia
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.
    I had check on the roots and is all rot!!! Amazing...
    The only part with healthy roots is right bellow the healthy looking part of the bush. So, after some reading I truly believe Stompede@ is right..
    It is a terminal case ;-(

I'm so upset!! It was my taller bush and the most expensive one!!! F**** !!!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional