SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Long term water quality issues

Debbie Downer
16 years ago

hello

I have a 125 gallon stock tank with 4 or 5 comets & shubunkins - has been located in my basement the past 2 yrs because the old pond sprung a leak and I haven't had time to finish the new larger, epdm lined pond. I thought it would be this summer but then had to deal with some other more urgent home repair issues.

Anyway the fish have been in that same water for an awfully long time. I know about the periodic water changes (suggested amts. Ive read seem to range from 10- 30%) I probably change out about 20-30% each time every month or 2, and also have a charcoal filter in a pondmaster pump. So I think the water is fine ammonia-wise but what about the chemicals and minerals which I assume would become more concentrated as time went on in spite of water changes. Is there ever a point where you would basically start over with new water?

If so I was thinking instead of taking the fish out, I would drain out most of the water and then add new water (dechlorinated) very very gradually over a period of a day or 2 so as to not shock the fish.

Or is it a non issue, should the water changes and charcoal filter be enough to deal with it.

Comments (10)