SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toofast_gw

Decided to shut it down for the first time this year

toofast
15 years ago

Good morning folks.

I have had a pond (1200g) for 5 years now. Until this year I have run the waterfall 24/7/365 with the pump at the bottom. Thanks to the help and feedback from many here & the Aquascape site I moved the pump out of the bottom and added a skimmer. Also thanks to posters I have decided to make my fish a little more comfortable (hopefully) this year by putting in a shallow air stone and a low wattage deicer with my trusty 1500w on standby just in case and shutting it down for the winter.

Having said that my question(s) are this, I live in a small town in southern Ontario (home of Wayne Gretzky) just an hour west of Toronto. I believe we are zone 5B or 6?

*Any ponders here in the same area?

*When do you typically shut things down? Nov?

*Do you still find yourself adding water in the winter with it shut down?

*What a re the pro's and con's of shutting the pond down as opposed to keeping it going? Any cons?

*I have an Aquasurge 3000 pump. Should it be stored in the bucket of water in the same position as it is running in the skimmer? Does it mater that the check-valve assembly is sticking out of the water?

*Start up usually March?

Guess thatÂs it? For now anyway (lol...aka Columbo)... It is going to be eerily (sp? Is that even a word?) quiet after 5 years with it going. As usual, with it all so new I am going to (starting already) worry about my fish. (3 month - 5 year old GF)

Anyway, I appreciated this board and the valuable feedback from other ponders,

Thanks for the help have a great day all!

Comments (11)