SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diana_garden_witch

Help - My Hedge is dying

diana_garden_witch
16 years ago

Hello:

First off, let me say that I know next to nothing about shrubs and trees. I am an avid gardener but have not yet extended my knowledge in this area. I have no idea what to do for my shrubs and trees and it is starting to show in my landscape. I hope someone can help me.

The front hedge of my house is Little Spiraea Japanese Princess. I have 4 shrubs on one side of my walk way and another 6 shrubs that line the front of my home. All receive full sun and are facing south. It is my understanding they were planted on the property in 2001.

I have already lost one shrub in the front of the house and the one directly to the west of the dead shrub looks like it is headed in the same direction. I can't say I like the looks of any of them lately and I am concerned I will end up losing them all eventually.

I do not want to replace my entire hedge. I would like to try to save the shrubs that are here and perhaps plant something different that will compliment the spiraea I am able to save.

Here is what is happening. The shrubs are losing their leaves on the inside of the shrub. Eventually the problem extends to the outside of the shrub and ends up looking like a big ball of sticks. I think I need to prune out the dead branches but am not sure how to do it. I attempted to prune the shrub that was in the worse shape but it didn't seem to help. There are so many dead branches that I am not sure if pruning it helped it or killed it. Does it have some kind of fungus, does it need fertilizer, extra water?? I don't usually water the shrubs unless we are in the midst of a drought, and then they only get a little. Should I be watering more?? What kind of fertilizer would you suggest?? I don't think I have ever fertilized my shrubs or trees in the three years I have lived here. As I said, I have no idea what I am doing.

Also, for the spots that I have already lost my shrubs, what would be a good companion shrub to complete my hedge.

If I decide to move a few of the shrubs around, when would be the best time to dig them up and move them? I don't want to kill the ones that are left but will need to do some repositioning if I plant something different along with the survivors.

Thanks so much for your advice!!

Comment (1)