SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

What fruit tree books you have?

dennis1983
12 years ago

Hi

I think we might want to know what fruit tree books people have here. Books which have information about fruit trees, berries, grapes, kiwis. You can also tell which books you have read. Books that have something to do with fruits, which you can eat.

Tell something about the book, what fruits it tells about, what you liked it, is there something to be beware about, what kind of growing advice it gave. Also say book name and what edition it is and don't forget to say what year it is made so we know is that information old or new.

I have few fruit tree books. I think mine books might be leaning toward tropical fruits.

I have the Peach World Cultivars to Marketing 4th edition book from 1988. It has 986 pages and it have information about peaches. I wrote earlier describtion of that book so don't need to repeat that.

I have Fruits of the philippines book which is from 1997 and has 178 pages. This books have fruits listed in philippined language. First is anonas which is custard apple, bullock heart Annona Reticulata. Each of of fruits have few pages of information. Afer that it has aratiles, datiles and atis. Aratiles is strawberry tree Muntingia Calabura and atis is sugar apple, sweetsop Annona Squamosa.

On fruit page it says when it season and other name of plant. There is picture of fruit, picture of tree with fruit, picture of cut opened fruit and possible picture of seeds. Picture are in color.

In text it says when it is flowering, how fruit matures. Some history which have mentioned this plant, how fruit is eaten, what kind of fruit it is form, what kind of flesh it has (Taste i mean). Information about relatives of it and how it grows. It says medicinal purposes of fruit.

That way it tells fruits. It have common tropical fruits, not much special fruits. It have carambola, avocado, guava, star apple, bignay, star apple, durian, mangosteen fruits. Just to mention some.

After fruits it have fruit recipes. Before recipes they are listed in traditional recipes and new recipes.

After that there is recipe sources. After that there is list of rare and vanishing fruit trees of Philippines which list fruit trees by family, give species name and how common it is.

After that there is reference which list books where they got information.

I have Florida's best fruiting plants from 2009 and it has 232 pages. It have information about fruit trees. It have color images. First book tells about growing fruit trees in Florida, wind protection, fruit tree diseases, cold protection. After that there is image which shows geograhic origin of fruit species. After that starts fruit profiles. It have peach, abiu, strawberry tree, banana, strawberry and sugar apple fruits. Just to mention some of them.

Fruit trees are listed in alphabetically. It first give name of it, scientific name, family, other common names and fruiting calendar. After that there is picture of fruit.

There is map where that fruit can be grown in Florida, image of size of tree.

After that there is describtion of fruits. It have same way it describe of fruits. First there is charasteristics which give 1-5 stars of following : overall rating, ease of care, taste/quality, productivity, landscape value, wind tolerance, salt tolerance, drought tolerance, flood tolerance, cold tolerance. After that there is known hazard information. After that it describe fruits in geographic distribution which says where it is growing, tree description tells how high tree is, how fast it is growing, what kind of leaves it have, when it begin to fruit. Then there is fruit description which tells what kind of fruit

it is, what it taste like. Cultivars part list varieties. Climate tells weather where it can grow. Cultivation part tells information about growing fruit. Harvest and use part says when fruit is ripening.

After fruits there is glossary, which explains some words what they mean. After that it list organizations, collections and arboretums, nurseries. After that it have native fruiting plants.

After that it have list of references and further reading.

I have more fruit tree books, but i need to stop now.

Comments (3)