SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Need pond filter advice

lesliew
15 years ago

I have a roughly 1500 gallon pond which was built with no real filtration. The guy who built it felt I only needed a UV, which obviously does not clean the pond. I have a 4800 gph pump, which sends the water through the UV and over the waterfall.

It seemed too much of a hassle to start doing construction, and major overhaul, to put in a skimmer, so for the time being, I have been using a submersible Pondmaster filter, which has done an amazing job of collecting debris and clearing the pond. However, it is a pain in the neck to pull it, clean it, and then get the pump with its water feature to stand erect!

The guy who is taking care of the pond right now has suggested an external filter, such as a Tetra Pond, or the equivalent. I do not want to take apart all the plumbing and add the filter to the current pump, since it would cut down on the waterfall immensely, so we are talking about either a pressurized or gravity filter, which we would half bury outside the perimeter of the pond, and then camouflage the tubing as well as we can. Right now, everything is hidden; you don't see any tubing, or wiring, or even the present pump, which is under a large rock at the bottom of the pond.

I am a little leery of pressurized filters. Do they need priming? I am just getting rid of an Eheim pressurized filter on my aquarium, which even the people who service the tank have problems with when it comes to priming, so I have stayed away from it. I need a filter which I can clean without worrying about getting it going again. I was also told by one tech that you don't get real biological filtration with a pressurized filer, since you need air to accomplish that.

Can anyone suggest a good filter for this pond, and the right pump for it? Also, do I add this now, since I keep my pond going all winter, unless we start to ice up, at which time, I use an external pump and tubing for aeration, and a pond deicer. Somewhere I read that filters should not be used in the winter.

I need to decide rather quickly, since once the pond is netted, I can't even use the Pondmaster without pulling off part of the netting, and that will be a major job.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Comments (3)