SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bugsb_gw

Pond filter........swimming pool filter OK?

bugsb
16 years ago

My pond is approximately 12,000 gallons and has a Tsurumi T8PN 6000 gph pump with a SS16000 Savio skimmerfilter and a BF2500 Atlantic filterfalls. This is not doing an adequate job. I intend to change the pump and filtration system from the Tsurumi pump and two 50 watt UV lights to an external pump with a larger UV system leaving the existing UV's in place. I intend to remove the Tsurumi pump from the skimmer, open the existing wall by boring a hole to allow for more water flow then add a more powerful external pump near the new filter at the other end of the pond near the waterfalls. My question is.... has anyone used a pool filter rather than the normal pond filtration systems? I cannot seem to find a manufactured pond filter large enough. Or maybe someone knows of a very large pond filtration system. I want to over filter the water this time rather than under filter as it is now. During algae blooms I am changing the skimmer filter in the existing system twice a day. I also am not interested in doing a homemade filter system unless I absolutely have no other choice.

I welcome any input as to what I am intending to do. I think I am headed in the right direction but if anyone feels otherwise please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: My pond the way it was before the freeze.

Comments (10)