SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jarstar

Brown / Dying Algae?

jarstar
14 years ago

Hello, I have used this site as a help site for many problems in the past and have had great success. Yet have found nothing for this new pond dilemma im having. I recently finished building an approx. 6000 gallon pond with 3 waterfalls. `1 Aquascape skimmer and 1 large biofalls, in all there are 3 filter mats. Very good circulation of water. Everything started out wonderfully had the green algae bloom in the beginning. Waited it out and water became clear again after introducing iris, hyacinths, lettuce, and lillies. Added barley straw mats and benificial bacteria. It was so clear and the 9 goldfish seemed to be thriving and there was nice lush algae growing on the rocks of the waterfall spillway. But now....all of the floating plants have turned yellow or have died, all the once green algae coating the liner has turned brown, and the once there algae on the water falls has all but dissapeared. My water is now brown. no algae in site anywhere. my lillies and iris are still fine but the floating plants and the algae are gone and its made my water brown?? I want algae in my pond, but its all dead now! Is it ammonia? Low oxygen levels? What could have caused the algae and floting plants to die? BTW my fish are all still alive and well. Do I need to add benificial bacteria every other week? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting