SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Where did all the albas go?

nastarana
12 years ago

They sell out at VG, Pickering and High Country Roses, sometimes within weeks of offerings being posted.

Last spring I ordered and paid for Ferox during the VG offering of roses from Eurodesert, only to be told a while later that it was "unavailable", with card charges reversed. Sigh. I had previously tried to buy it from Cliff himself, but was not in line soon enough, alas. Ferox, along with Sophy de Merilly (alba, not moss, confidently asserted Paul Zimmerman) were rumoured to live at Ashdown, but disappeared after that nursery closed and were not seen in commerce again in North America, where much of the growing area is in fact colder than most of Europe, and where albas would be an excellent choice.

Now comes VG's spring availability list, which was supposed to feature old European roses....no albas.

I already bought the more commonly available ones, from RVR, VG and Pickering, among others. The rarities, like Ferox, SdM, Princesse de Lamballe, etc. would seem to have departed these shores forever.

OK, they don't sell like KO does, but it is not true that there is no market at all for albas.

Comments (32)