SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcjcjcx

Not happy with new pond/filtration

jcjcjcx
15 years ago

I've rebuilt my pond this year and am questioning the filtration. I'm finding that I get quite a lot of

detritus buildup even over just a few days. Even all the plants have a thick coating of slimey algae along the

stems. My plants grew poorly over the summer and did not provide much surface coverage (probably because they

were ALL transplanted into pea gravel). My fish count was at 17 goldish (4 are about 6", a few at 3-4" and the

rest smaller). Plus now I have another 19 babies that were born this year.

I gently sloped the pond so that all the detritus would collect at one end, but clearly its not and there is

detrius all over and in some pockets. I rocked in only a few areas with pea gravel on the shelf, the rest and the

very bottom is all bare. I don't know why its not 'sweeping down' to the other end.

My pond is 1500 gallons metered (irregular size 18' x 10'). Skimmer is rated to skim ponds up to 600 sq. ft.

My watefall pump is 2900 GPH (1/4 HP). The Aquafalls box is rated for biological filtration to ponds up to 200 sq.

ft. and /or approx. 2500 gallons. I used 25' of 2" PVC flex tubing (and 2" bulkheads) used to connect skimmer to

waterfall which is approx 1.5' at highest point.

As for water quality, its usually clear and is good. I test the water every month and each time get the following

readings: PH = 8.5, KH (4 drops), Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 0, Phosphate = 0.

My questions:

1) The first few photos.. this is detritus (fish&plant waste) and not something else, right?

2) Does everyone get about this much detritus every few days? (I can clean out 2 gallons of it every week).

Is it normal, or do I have too little fitration/too much fish?

3) Based on pond size and equipment do I have adequate filtration for goldfish? Or was I sold an undersized

component? By the way at first it was suggested that we get the 3900 GPH pump, but once the waterfall was all done

and we tested the pump we found that it was extremely strong (water was shooting into the pond almost

vertically!). So we traded down to the 2900 GPH. Perhaps this was a mistake and is not providing enough filtration

now?

{{gwi:230135}}
{{gwi:230138}}
{{gwi:230140}}
{{gwi:230142}}

{{gwi:230144}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus