SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_in_wi

building a new pond in a northern climate

jeff_in_wi
12 years ago

We recently moved to a new house and I am in the planning stage of a new pond. I had a small concrete pond at our old house - but this will be my first rubber-lined pond. It will also be larger and have a little more complicated filtration system.

We live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, zone 4, where the temperatures typically get down to 20 or 30 degrees below zero (F) during the winter. My new pond is going to be about 10' x 6' and approximately 36" deep. I am planning a skimmer, Skippy type filter, small waterfall, and possibly a bottom drain. I want to keep goldfish - not koi.

I am very concerned about freezing issues with the pond - burst pipes, cracked fittings, etc. I am not worried about the fish - I plan to shut down the filter and bring the fish and pump inside for the winter. For aesthetic reasons, I'd like to keep water in the pond during the winter. I already talked to the manufacturer of my skimmer - they said not to drain it - just leave it full of water and let it freeze solid.

As I design and build my pond, what tips and suggestions do you have to help the piping and filtration system survive the freezing weather ?

Any info would be appreciated

Jeff

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor