SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19770858

Winterizing fish indoors dilemma

User
12 years ago

Hi All,

I have run into a bit of a dilemma and was wondering what other people do for bringing their fish in doors. I built a 4ft pond with the hope of putting my fish in their for the winter, however it has developed a leak which I am trying to find, but it will probably delay be another 2 weeks and I am not sure I will be able to cycle the pond in time, so I am thinking of a backup option but I am running out of time very quickly.

My water temp is 60F degrees and I am not sure how much time I have left. My other pond is only 2ft and will not last the winter.

I have about 7 x 5-10" koi and a 12" koi and some goldies.

1. How big a hold tanking will I need, should i get a 100G, 300G or maybe a indoor fiberglass pond

2. Will they hibernate indoors or will I need to heat and feed them thru out the winter

3. What type of filter/pump do people use .. I currently have a 8000 and a 4000 pump .. I assume I cannot use these, so I will need a much smaller one

4. Wouldn't I need to cycle the indoor pond, so have similar issues with cycling. I understand indoor will be warmer, but I still need to go thru the cycling period

5. Can I build a smaller version of Skippy's Filter .. for indoors ?

Thanks

Comments (7)