SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stanp_gw

American Hazelnut Problem

stanp
16 years ago

Hi! I have an american hazelnut that is about 4-5 years old now (planted in spring 2004, from 2 foot bareroot stock). It has done okay so far and had nuts last fall. This spring however I have noticed what I thought was a bug problem at first, but now I'm wondering if perhaps it's a disease(?). I didn't noticed it at all in spring 2007 or 2006. First I found a bunch of ants running up and down a number of the twigs. On close inspection I can see what appears to be a roundish (sort of football shaped) nodules (some are more roundish though). I thought they were worms or some kind of bug because there appears to be a faint striped pattern that runs across (not lengthwise) the body of these things (sort of similar in appearance to the grain weevil (larvae) that is sometimes found in grains that have sit a while on shelf such as oatmeal, wheat cereal, macaroni, etc).

I picked a few of these "nodules" off and they are soft and can easily be squished. There appeared to be no damaged on the twig underneath the few I picked off. They vary in size from very small (1/64 or 1/32 inch) to about 3/16 inch or so. Most appear below or right around where a leaf bud exists.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what these things are, and if they are harmful? I did a quick research on the net and found eastern flibert blight as one disease of american hazelnut, but those symptoms to be different in appearance to what I'm seeing (also I'm in the west, specifically utah--not that the disease couldn't be found here, but it looks a lot different than what I'm seeing). Basically all I have done so far was spray the shrub with some ortho bug-b-gone and that zapped the ants, but my concern is these soft pustules (for lack of a better description) and how they could harm the plant.

Any help appreciated.. thanks

Comments (4)