SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acdcstrang

One Year Old Boxwood Hedge all Droopy on Top

acdcstrang
10 years ago

I live in Toronto and had a boxwood hedge (Green Gem) planted last spring in my west facing front garden. It has been doing great until just today when I noticed that the tops of the plants are all drooping. These droopy bits are all bright green and limp. I am assuming they are the new growth. I am hoping I didn't do anything to create this problem. I amended the soil last weekend with composted cow manure. (I didn't dig it in because I have a horrible Norway Maple 10 feet away that sends up thousands of tiny roots in the planting bed and I tried to cover them up with the compost. If I dig it in, the roots will be brought up.)

A neighbour said I should try watering them, but we have had a fair amount of rain lately so I can't see that drought is a problem especially as the plants are so vibrantly green and the leaves are not drying out. Is it possible they have had too much water? Until about a week and a half ago, they were getting a good amount of water because I was using the sprinkler to get the grass seed germinated and growing in the lawn and the hedge shared the same watering.

Please help! I spent a good deal of money on these plants and to have all of them looking like this all of a sudden is very disconcerting. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (9)