SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Has the economy made you re-think your potential purchases?

mxk3 z5b_MI
15 years ago

Yea, yea - downer subject, I know...

I have been thinking about this, though, because normally I am not frugal when it comes to plant material - if I want it I buy it, I don't think twice about it. Even if a plant turns out to be a dud, the money isn't even an issue, because it is a pleasurable experience to pick out plants, plant them, and tend them - I very much enjoy the process, even if once in a while it does turn out to be money wasted (coralbells, anyone?).

I just placed a couple orders on Monday, though, and I did not order some stuff I wanted to from Select Seeds because I thought it was just too expensive for annuals (speciality heliotrope, elephant ears). I searched for coupon codes for the seed companies (no luck) trying to save at least a little bit and checked to see who had the least expensive shipping. I didn't purchase much - a few seed packets, Jiffy pellets, and (3) dahlia tubers - but the money spent really weighed on my mind.

Re-doing my siding and gutters is a MUST this summer - it's falling off and the squirrels have already taken up residency in my attic through the rotted, chewed through wood, it's that bad - so that's a big chunk of change I'm saving for, every week I put some money aside for it. I'm really trying to chip away at the credit card debt, too, all my cards are paid off except one, but it has a hefty balance. Maybe that's what bothered me about the purchases - I had to order and put on my card that I'm trying to pay down, I've been paying cash for everything I can lately, I really felt guilty about charging something. Plus DH is worried about losing his job, so there's another worry.

Anyone else start feeling this way of late? How is the economy going to alter your plans/purchases this year (or not)? Feel free to whine along with me and get it off your chest :p

Comments (31)