SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarabell

Any broadleaf evergreen, zone 5 hardy, OK in alkaline soil shrub?

sarabell
15 years ago

I'm beginging to get that this is a tall order! :)

I need some shrubs for my foundation plantings. This would be on the West side of my house, the front, only morning shade. It will get afternoon sun through the year, including winter. I don't mind a little winter burn, as long as recovery is OK (it will look at least as good as a totally bare decideous shrub, which is my only other option, right?).

Our area is famous for it's alkalinity, and clay; I will ammend the digging hole, and can treat the area with Holly-tone or whatever regularly, but also don't want something TOO fussy that is going to look awful if I'm not on the upkeep constantly.

I'm shying away from boxwoods, b/c I want more natural shapes, but maybe I should reconsider? I'm also not in love with the boxwood smell. I'm also considering Mountain Fire Pieris, but I'm not sue how acidic the soil ought to be. Hollies, Rhodies, etc, my soil is just too alkaline; I'm experimenting with trying to keep some azaleas alive and happy in my backyard (& having great luck thanks to RhodyMan here!), but I don't want to chance messing up and my FRONT yard looking awful, KWIM?

Any advice? Any options I'm missing?

Comments (6)