SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinc06

Tart fruit variety recommendations?

pinc06
11 years ago

Hi all

Been reading these forums for a few years and have learned much from you helpful folks. I notice several of you mention that you like tart. I love tart, but notice it seems to be a bad word in most fruit descriptions. They substitute sprightly or even subacid. After several years of avoiding fruit described as dessert, I finally learned that just means good to eat fresh. To me, dessert means sweet which I avoid. So I'd love to hear from anyone who is a tart fruit lover which fruits they have and enjoy most.

I garden in Cinti, my current faves are gooseberries and tart cherries. I also enjoy my Asian Pears and Santa Rosa plum. Right now I'm looking into apples and am considering Pristine, Williams Pride, Liberty, and Goldrush. I already put in a Sundance and a Pixie Crunch. BTW I was able to sample a Pixie Crunch growing on the potted tree and it was fabulous! but all the writeups just say sweet as candy which turned me off. It actually has a rich sweet tart blend which I now learn is the real meaning for subacid.

Besides apples I'm condidering some European plums. Would also like to hear some first hand experience from folks with the new Hungarian cherry trees like Jubelium, Danube and Balaton.

thanks all!

Pam in cinti

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21