SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

New bare roots in winter

katefisher
15 years ago

A question about new bareroots in winter. Here in the mountains of Northern CA we still have snow on the ground and nighttime temps of around mid 20's at night. Normally I don't get bareroots until the end of March mid-April with how fickle out winter weather is.

A good friend last week sent me five DA bare roots. She had ordered some for herself and was amazed to find a complete duplication of her order when she opened the box. There were 10 instead of 5! Since she barely had room for 5 let alone 5 more she sent them to me:) At the time our weather was starting to turn around and I thought I could pot them up and bury them in the garden until spring came. Then we had another snowstorm and more rather cold weather.

Right now the roses are soaking in a pot in my kitchen and I'm wondering about my options. I cannot dig in the ground at the moment at all. So that leaves me with:

Pull one of my portable greenhouses out and put the bareroots (after potting up) into it along with some Christmas lights. My only worry here is are the lights warm enough to keep the roses from freezing overnight? Are they too warm? The greenhouse will be located on my covered front porch. Or..,

Pot all the roses up into 5 gallon buckets and just leave them on the porch during the day with a frost cover over them at night. I am primarily interested in keeping them alive at this point and not worried about trying to get them to actively grow. We don't have a basement or garage to keep them in.

Sorry, really long! I very much want to grow these guys this year and I would hate to lose them because I wasn't smart about taking care of them now.

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (3)