SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jawjapeach_gw

Red Clay Drainage Problems

13 years ago

North Ga. area

I planted 3 Pencil Hollies the other day and when I watered the holes for wetting down the organic shrub food I noticed the drainage was VERY sa....low......The water absorbed into the clay like a slow draining kitchen sink that you thought was plugged well. Basically the water sits. I took a chance anyway and added topsoil mixed with composted manure to the hole hoping the amendments will help in losing the clay over time. I also pierced the walls and bottom of the holes with my fork digging tool.

When I water, I do get a fill up of water that sits on top of the mulch and once filled I stop watering and walk away. I do this about every 4 -5 days. Well, as it has turned out. They are planted too far apart so I will be pulling them out and replanting close by in the same clay.

Does anyonehave any suggestions about this drainage problem. Or will it amend itself with the good soil in there? I think I will be adding some sand mixed in with my next batch of amendments, but ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments (11)