SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Am I at the Right Forum --- Growing Tree From Mandarin Peach Pit

This feels like a kindergarten gardening project. I am sooo not a planter of seeds, or anything like that --- it's plants from the nursery for me, all the way.....

EXCEPT............. I am in a special situation with this.... (if I'm at the wrong forum, please refer me to the right one).

We are about to move from our house where when my son was a little boy (he's 28 now) he "rescued" a dwarf mandarin peach tree from the back throwaway zone of a local nursery and we brought it home and planted it. He wanted it to be "his tree". We all love that tree .... it's so pretty and sweet, has nice leaves, nice flowers, and a lot of sentimental value.

I would like to take a "baby" from it when we move to our new house in a couple of months. Before, when it's had a really good year and I've let it happen, little baby trees grow up underneath it quite easily. I wish that had happened this year so I could transplant one of those and take it with me, but it didn't.

Right now there are three peaches on it. Can I take a pit out of one of the peaches, soak it till it softens (or something), and plant it in a container until it grows big enough to plant? I've done something similar with an avocado before.

Mary

We're in zone 7, Maryland.

I only think it's a Dwarf Mandarin Peach tree b/c that's what the label said when we brought it home.

Comment (1)