SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

How early can you see traits?

andreark
10 years ago

I have 9 Austins in 5+ gallon pots ready to go into their new
bed. I have already had these roses for about 2 months and they are starting to do a spring thing! They were purchased from D.A. in Texas, Chamblees, and Regan's Nursery in Fremont, Ca.

I tried to choose compact shrubby types, but I think I goofed. I purchased them prior to reading about them on this forum. Some of them are already looking like they are trying to find something to climb on. The ones that are looking like climbers seem to have different types of canes AND leaves. For example, Lady Emma has rather substantial canes with heavy leaves and appears to be staying compact. Golden Celebration (a climber, I know) on the other hand is a very different type plant. The canes are more like tendrils and the leaves are large but very thin.

Those two are obvious, but Tradescant is looking more like Golden Celebration. And Molineux, with sturdy canes, wants to be more like Pristine, TALLLL. Also, Sceptered Isle is already trying to be tall. Falstaff doesn't look like a climber, but he is much larger than Lady Emma.

I guess I'm trying to ask if at their young age, they could already be showing signs of what they will be as adult?

Sorry, I know that this is a flaky post. I'm not even sure what I'm asking.

Happy spring,

confused andrea

Comments (4)