SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Six pierises didn't bloom this year

I have a pieris patch here in zone 6b and last year most of them bloomed. They're planted in acid soil, sandy loam, in part sun with some shelter from winter winds.

I have Pieris Mountain Fire, Karenoma, Cavatine, Prelude and Little Heath. The variegated Little Heath is the only one that didn't bloom well last year , and no-one seems to expect it to.

Last year:

2009 - P. Mountain Fire which was recovering from a bad Siberian iris invasion, but seemed to have handled the removal of the iris OK.

{{gwi:250771}}

2009 - P. Karenoma

{{gwi:250773}}

2009 - P. Cavatine or Prelude (not sure which - they got moved around).

{{gwi:250774}}

This year none of those bloomed - the only pieris bloom was on Little Heath, just a few blooms.

2010 - P. Little Heath

{{gwi:250775}}

Most of the pierises are now showing new growth, but not all. Little Heath is considering taking over the whole bed and is covered with red. (I have three of them).

Some background:

1. I didn't deadhead any of them.

2. I didn't fertilize them per se, but I added compost and left oak leaves on them for the winter. You can see the "mulch" in the Karenoma photo.

3. We don't usually get much snow cover here, but last winter ('09/'10) was colder and snowier than usual.

My questions:

1. Should I have deadheaded them to promote flower bud formation?

2. Did the flower buds just get killed off somehow last fall?

3. Or did something eat the new flower buds - I have voracious turkeys and squirrels running around nibbling on things.

4. Should I give them more compost or maybe some Holly-tone/Plant-tone (I lean to organic)?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Claire

Comments (24)