SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flowerfavorite

'Seedlings' too big (newbie needs help! :)

flowerfavorite
15 years ago

Hi,

I stumbled upon this website in Feb. and was inspired to start some plants from seed for the first time. So first let me say a big THANKS for all of the info that I've found - I have come back many times to search for "what to do next." I have many beautiful flowering marigolds, some excellent looking pepper plants, many cherry tomatoes, and a few regular tomatoes. My problem seems to be timing now - I got inspired a bit too early for living in Wisconsin! Many of my tomato plants are now as big as my 2-year-old son - with flowers on them. I've re-potted them several times and they seem to need tomato cages to keep from falling over. Tonight I pulled into my dining room two huge pots with tomato cages in them - along with several other HUGE pots - because we're still freezing at night - I know I should be happy, but it's really almost comical trying to keep these plants alive now! Any suggestions?? Have I done something wrong if they won't stand up by themself at this stage? I know even my seedlings bought at the store required cages in my garden last summer to keep from falling over. When is it possible to plant them and keep them covered at night? Thanks for all of your help! I've learned a ton here (but still have a long ways yet to go!!)

Comments (10)