SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

What surprised You this Year?

goodkarma_
13 years ago

Every year of ponding and gardening is different. This year I was most pleasantly surprised that my old Koi actually grew longer this year. Not too much but even Jenny noticed the difference. This is the year I started baking my own Koi food.

The second thing was honey bees!!!!!! I have not seen so many honey bees in 12 years when I first noticed their was a problem here in Ohio. What a wonderful thing to see so many this year.

Third thing was toads!!!! Last year I did not get any tadpoles that survived and in the early spring it seemed that would be the case again. My first crop of toad eggs died and I feared the end of my urban toads. But a little later in the season and their were toadpoles and toads!!! The species lives in suberbia another year. :)

Lastly is the return of grasshoppers and crickets in significant numbers. The grasshoppers are living in the yard and in the floating planters. I was wading in the pond and got to see them up close. They are eating some wild flower plants I leave grow in the yard and in some planters. They make such a sweet sound and I absolutely love them.

What about your pond and yard this year?

Regards,

Lisa

Comments (21)