SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadey_gw

Desperate for deep shade screen -- tough spot

shadey
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a trouble spot that I've been trying to deal with for years ... making slow progress.

The Northwest corner of my yard involves a large Norway Maple. Although I'm not crazy about this tree, it performs important function of softening the corner of a very large yard and screening (for now anyhow) a busy street. To the east, I have a row of blue spruces. The spruce nearest to the Maple is, of course, getting skinny from shade and resource competition, but I did raise the canopy and thin the tree out last year to help with this.

Now that I've raised the canopy, I can see the cars (above the 6 foot fence) behind the tree. Ugh! The spruce will continue to loose the lower branches too.

So I need a cluster of shrubs on the south side of a 6 foot wooden fence, to the west of a spruce and near the edge of the canopy of the Norway Maple. This is deep shade, dry shade, with some salt from the road.

I think a Cranberry Bush Viburnum will grow here, but I understand that are recently susceptible to a bug in my area.

Is anyone familiar with Nanyberry Viburnum? The literature says it can take shade ... but so many things get "skinny" in the shade that they don't really provide screening.

Will yews really grow and thrive in deep shade? Do those tall (hicks) yews look naturally (I have a naturalistic yard/garden -- not formal) if left unpruned?

I know I've asked lots of questions.

Thank you in advance!

Shadey

Comments (16)