SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadey_gw

Yews -- taxus cuspidata vs. media

shadey
15 years ago

I love the big, rambling old yews that I see among the older homes in my neighborhood. Some are humungous and sprawling -- like 15 feet tall and 20 feet wide.

I know it could take forever, but I do have a large property and I would like to grow some yews that will get big and sprawling (natural look -- not tidy).

Most nurseries in my area (west burbs of Chicago) only offer a few varieties of taxus media (taunton and densiformus, and hicks ...) the tag on the densiformus says it only gets 3 - 5 feet high. A guy at the nursery said they can get huge but that no one would want them if they knew that ... so the tags indicate the smaller (attainable thru regular pruning) sizes. Well, I have some densiformus and they seem pretty restrained to me -- but they're in part shade and only about 5 years old.

Isn't what I really want a cuspidata? One nursery has a "pyramidal" form of it, but I cannot find a sprawler.

Help me out yew experts -- should I go with a densiformus? (in the deep shade) or hold out for a cuspidata? What else do I need to know before I purchase? Why aren't cuspidata more available in local nurseries?

Thanks for all of your expertise, this forum has been very helpful of late.

Shadey

Comments (3)