SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gilroybighouse

Restoring the concrete pond pt2 - Gilroy

gilroybighouse
11 years ago

Hi All,

Well, DW and I have been hard at work on the pond all week since we had a 'shutdown' (furlough, forced time off, whatever...). When I last posted, we had moved several tons of surrounding rock, and were ready to remove the Acacia trees that had originally cracked the concrete pond structure. We got the trees removed:

{{gwi:224474}}

Then we started stumping them. For those who are unfamiliar with stumping, this means digging the stump out, and removing the large roots. This is more effective at preventing regrowth of the tree than stump grinding. It also prevents the cubic feet of sawdust that is left in the soil after stump grinding, which effectively makes the soil unusable for a year or two, because decomposition uses up all the nitrates, but I digress. Stumping a tree is a bunch of work, stumping a half dozen is miserable, but when it's done, you do get that sense of accomplishment... My wife s such a trooper, in there with the digging bar ripping out stumps and roots...

{{gwi:224476}}

Then we poured bases for the waterfall and pump house, built the pump house up, and put in the base for the waterfall's raised pool. Originally, I was thinking to hide the pump under the waterfall, but that just wasn't going to work very well in the space we had, so we separated them. In the foreground you can see the waterfall base. We will have two waterfalls, one into the smaller pond, one into the larger pond, both fed from a single pool basin, which will be on top of the cinder blocks. In the back, you can see the cinder block house for the pump, filter just outside (not in this photo). The AC will also be in the pump house, which DW affectionately has named "the bunker". It will have large rocks hiding it, and plants on top, possibly with a tertiary trickle waterfall down the front, if I can get that to work...

{{gwi:224478}}

Next, we got the felt out and then put in the liner. I ordered a 40x40 to make sure we could cover all the weird curves and such. I had no idea the liner was so heavy! 400lbs shipping weight. Awful for two people, get friends to help if you are crazy enough to do this... We have lots of fold and wrinkles despite our best efforts (DW's efforts, I was useless at this task). We decided to fill it with water to see if it looked better, and it did. Unfortunately, not good enough. We are going to mortar the bottom with some strategically placed river rock for aesthetics. We will probably refill at that point and see how it looks. For those f you who are appalled at the waste of water, fear not, it was all fed to our redwood trees, which need it in this heat, and are recovering from years of neglect. It's crazy that you can dump a couple thousand gallons of water on these trees, and get nary a puddle. No joke, water comes out of the hose and just disappears into the ground, for hours at a time. In any case, it looks good with water in it.

{{gwi:224479}}

Next weekend, we install the return piping, and mortar the bottom. Comments and tips are dearly appreciated.

Mike

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21