SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal327

Water feature over existing well?

gardengal327
16 years ago

We have an old well just off our back deck that has not been used for many years and we would like to put a water feature over the top. I would like to get an antique well pump and have it pump water into a whiskey barrel which would then over-flow back into the well. We would cover the well with a sturdy steel grate and then cover the grate with rocks so that the water could run back into the well. My concern is that this might be expensive to maintain, the pump might be too noisey, the pump might get clogged, etc. Another option would be to cover the well with a concrete slab and not use the well water at all--just have the water from the well pump/whiskey barrel re-circulate without going down into the well. I am not sure which option would be the best--the second option would be cheaper but it would be nice to have the sound of water falling into the well. I would like to leave some sort of access to the well so that we could use it in an emergency but I really want it to be safe. At this point it is a 5' x 5' hole in the ground that is 18' deep from top to bottom. Any ideas or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Comments (3)