SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

'Wine & Roses' weigela qestions

katrina1
17 years ago

Even though this weigela cultivar was developed in the late '90s, 2005 was the first I began seeing them hyped in our local nurseries.

Now that enough time has passed, I am wanting to know if people are still pleased with the 'Wine & Rose' weigela shurbs that they planted at least several years ago.

In 2005 and 2006, I only saw 3-5 gallon specimans for sale, and they seemed overpriced; especially since I did not, at the the time, have a specific need for some of the them. Yesterday, though I saw some small gallon sized starters priced very reasonably. I wondered if I should buy some of those and keep repotting them until they grow to be 5 gallon sized.

currently, I need to take out a Red Tip photenia, which overgrew the area once the redbud tree that used to compete with it died. I am now wondering if my planting a 5 gallon sized 'Wine and Roses' weigela would be a better replacement shrub for that area.

In the area I am looking for an only slightly tall foundation shrub. The area is the west side of the northwest front corner of my house. Along with the weigela, I was also thinking of planting some Dwarf Yaupon Nana' and maybe some spirea. For height on the very corner, I'm cosidering planting a three or 4 trunked 'Tuscaora' Crape myrtle.

Since the Crape myrtle would take many years to grow tall enough to provide any significant shading for the area, Would the weigela do well with all that sun and summer heat.

The area is well drained. If I plant a few 'Wine and Roses' weigela as the slightly tall foundation shrub in that front corner grouping, is it likely they will perform well. The house is stone and The area is exposed to west and late summer northwest sun.

Comments (28)