SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Christmas-y day trips (photo heavy)

As stress-relievers, in the last week or so we've visited two local conservatory/greenhouses with Christmas displays. I thought you might enjoys some pictures.... The files I exported from the camera came out larger than usual and then I uploaded them in a different way - so I hope they don't cause a problem for anyone with a slower connection...

It has become very obvious that Randy and I literally see the world differently - he mans the camera on our little trips and I say things like 'take a picture of [whatever]'. Invariably I meant take a 'big picture' view and almost invariably he takes a 'detail' one! So he now needs to get the fancy camera he's been talking about so I can have this one - then we can both take pictures when we go places - and look at the results to see how many times we 'saw' the same thing when we took a picture :-)

So I'm missing a few pictures here... :-)

The conservatory we visited last week unfortunately had this sign in the entrance:

{{gwi:189863}}

Some things were wiped out but others totally unharmed:

{{gwi:189864}}

A mechanical Santa was on duty in the entrance:

{{gwi:189865}}

The major part of the display was gazillions of poinsettias in all possible shades and variegations of red, pink, white; single and double, some with variegated leaves. I didn't realize there were so many different form of poinsettias! There were also several interesting cone 'trees':

{{gwi:189867}}
{{gwi:189868}}
A close-up of the grass one:

{{gwi:189869}}

They had a nice trompe l'oeil arbour around a bench. I really want to find a place for something like that this year in the garden so I've been getting pictures of any I see:

{{gwi:189870}}

Today we went in the Toronto to the Allan Gardens to see the Christmas display there. As we got close to the gardens, we noticed a lot of people with dogs.

{{gwi:189871}}
I didn't realize there is an off-leash area close to the main entrance.

{{gwi:189872}}

I'm not sure if you can reat the sign... The gardens were officially opened in 1860. The domed 'palm house' was built in 1910.

{{gwi:189873}}
{{gwi:189874}}

The most intricate thing in the display was this rocking horse:

{{gwi:189875}}

Cone 'trees' are obviously de rigeur for these Christmas displays as there were several here too:

{{gwi:189876}}
{{gwi:189877}}

I thought of Deanne when I saw this brug.

{{gwi:189878}}

An odd and interesting ornament in one place was a couple of mobiles made from dried citrus slices!

{{gwi:189879}}

When we got back, Randy was obviously inspired by the Christmas theme - he's in the kitchen making mincemeat tarts... We make our own mincemeat each year and it is yummy!

Comments (20)