SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Advice on plantings for coastal Maine garden renovation? (pics)

14 years ago

Hi, I posted this on Landscape Design as well, but thought you might have good shrub ideas here!

I am about to start buying plants for a revamped foundation planting for our Maine home. We've removed all the overgrown shrubs and a decrepit old deck, dumped 5 yards of compost, and are ready to start buying plants. Hoping for your input!

Review:

house is in Maine, will be shingled and painted in light beigey-grey, sort of a coastal cottage look. We removed a large deck off the bedroom french doors, and instead it will have a simple railing across it ("juliette balcony"). Garage will have trellis with clematis.

Objectives:

1) Make front door more prominent (currently it is visually lost and unused). To that end, the recessed doorway area will be sided in a different material, and an informal flagstone walkway will lead up the hill to the main road. (Family uses side door, which is next to the garage door in the lower left.)

2) Low budget (aprox $1000) and low maintenance plantings.

3) All season interest re: spring flowering trees, summer grasses and perennials, fall foliage and fruit, fruit and red bark and shapes in winter.

4) Would love some edible landscaping to compliment backyard organic garden and fruit.. re: hybrid blueberry bushes.

5) Would love something with summer (sometime in june/July/Aug?) fragrance near the bedroom french doors.

6) Spring bulbs and something frangrant near the family entrance lower left (new porch to be built). Also- the oil fill is at the far right of that porch, behind the proposed crabapple.

So far, we're fairly set on using:

small magnolia on the SE corner as shown, Ann, Jane, Ricki, or one similar.

small crabapple on S corner. Local nurseries have recommended 'Tina'

hydrangeas x2, have existing to replant. Annabelle, Endless Summer type. I like the winter interest of the canes...

peonies, have about 6 or 8, after dividing existing, mature plants.

and the rest of the list, which so far do not have set locations, is:

Evergreen: fairly open, natural, narrow, not more than 8' H.. possibly Falce Cypresses like Gracilis, Filicoides...

Fothergilla

Blueberry- hybrid types 3-4' high

Winterberry

Arctic Fire Dogwood

Cotoneaster and/or Bearberry underplanting the crabapple and/or magnolia

Cranesbill Geranium

Nepeta

Globe Allium

Spring bulbs

Tall grasses for initial height and winter interest

Here is a sketch of the house as seen from the corner of the two streets, BARE- no plantings.

{{gwi:20637}}

QUESTIONS

1) What should go in that corner where the two arms of the house meet? I do not want to block the window, so it would need be about 4' wide. I feel like it needs something with a little height there, no? Evergreen? Other?

2) What should flank the front entry? Two shrubs of the same type? About 3-4' high? I was thinking small winterberry for the great red winter berries, but maybe they're too bland the rest of the year? I don't want it super formal... it should be casual, coastal, natural but also somewhat neat.

3) Recommendations for frangrant things next to the side door porch and the bedroom french doors?

4) Recommendations of which to plant where, heights, etc?

Here's the plan I am working with right now... open to changes!!

{{gwi:20638}}

and a sketch with some of the above plants drawn in at near-mature size.

{{gwi:20639}}

Thanks for your comments :)

Comments (4)